A recipe for this delicious mid-week meal, which is super simple and quick to make.
1 pack pre-made gnocchi (most are vegan friendly but just check the ingredients) (you could make your own if you feel really fancy!)
Vegetable oil for frying (I used standard olive oil)
1 x 400g tinned tomatoes
3 cloves of garlic
Handful of sun-dried tomatoes
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp chilli flakes
Either 1 tsp dried basil or handful of fresh basil
1 carton of vegan cream (I used Oatly)
8 spears of asparagus
Handful of kale (pictured is cavolo nero aka black kale)
1 tsp minced garlic / garlic granules
- Bring a saucepan of water to the boil and add a pinch of salt, followed by the pack of gnocchi. Cook until the small gnocchi dumplings rise to the top of the water, it should take around 5 minutes.
- Whilst the gnocchi is boiling, start to prepare the sauce. Add the tinned tomatoes, peeled garlic cloves, sun-dried tomatoes, 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, 1 tsp chilli flakes and basil to a blender or food processor and mix until smooth.
- The gnocchi should now be ready, drain and add to a hot non-stick frying pan. Add 2 tbsps of oil to the hot frying pan and then add your boiled gnocchi. Stir regularly to make sure the gnocchi doesn’t stick to the pan.
- Whilst the gnocchi is frying, prepare your asparagus and kale. Prepare by cutting and discarding 2cm from the bottom of the asparagus and slicing the kale into wide strips. Then steam your greens for around 3-5 minutes.
- Keep frying the gnocchi until it is golden. Once golden, add the minced garlic and the other 1 tsp of chilli flakes and stir through for one minute, then take off the heat.
- Finally, heat your tomato sauce and add the vegan cream then stir until the sauce is heated through.
- Dish up – spoon out a layer of the creamy tomato sauce, then add the gnocchi and the greens on top.